The Rio Amazonas was built on the Clyde, Scotland by Murdoch & Murray in 1899 as a rubber transport steamship for the Amazon. The Rio Amazonas was commissioned by the firm Miranda & Co. of Belem do Para, which is the city located at the mouth of the Amazon River in Brazil. In 1907 she was bought by Braga Sobrinho & Cie and named ‘Braga Sobrinho’. Adolfo Morey Arias, one of the most successful rubber barons on the upper Amazon purchased her in 1936, changed her name to ‘Arias’, and brought the ship up to Iquitos, Peru. The ‘Arias’ navigated the route from Iquitos to Belem as a cargo and passenger ship travelling over 2,000 miles to the mouth of the Amazon.
In the early 1980’s the ‘Arias’ was converted to a tourist boat and her name was changed to ‘Rio Amazonas’. The ‘Rio Amazon’ was one of the largest riverboats on the Peruvian Amazon measuring 44 m long and 9 m wide. The ship was converted from steam to diesel in the 1970’s and purchased by AmazonEco in 2010 as a research ship. Last year the ‘Rio Amazonas’ joined the Historic Boat Museum fleet as a navigating ship travelling to the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.